Register your child and see schools, SFO and clubs

The year your child turns 6, the child must be enrolled in school. School enrollment always takes place in the month of January. Registration for SFO and SFO club is open all year.

Your child is required to attend school in the calendar year in which he or she reaches the age of 6. You must therefore enroll your child in school, regardless of whether they go to municipal primary or lower secondary school or private school. 

School starts in August. Note, however, that Nørreskov School and Nordals School have rolling school start starting in March, August and November. 

How do I enroll my child in school?

Enrollment at school from 15 January to 31 January, regardless of whether it is primary school, free school or private school. Use the link at the top - you need MitID.

However, the German schools in the municipality have special enrollment times.

What is SFO and club?

SFO (after-school program)

After-school care is an offer for you who need care for your child before and/or after school.

The after-school offer applies to children from 0th grade up to and including 2nd grade.

If you want to know more about the concrete after-school offers, contact your child's school.


Klub is an offer for you who need care for your child before and/or after school.

The club offer applies to children from 3rd grade up to and including 6th grade.

If you want to know more about the specific club offers, contact your child's school.

How do I register my child for or report out of SFO or club?

Enroll or unenroll your child in SFO or club via the link at the top of the page.

Registration can be done continuously throughout the year. You can enroll your child in SFO at the school where the child is enrolled. If you register from e.g. on the 7th for a month, in the first month you only have to pay for the period on the 7th and the rest of the month. There is no waiting list at SFO.

If you choose to switch to a more expensive module, the change can take place from day to day. If you choose to switch to a cheaper module, you can do so with one month's notice to the 1st or 15th of the month. The module change is made in the booking system via the Digital Seating Guide.

When your child is registered in SFO, he is automatically registered out of kindergarten if he is in immediate transition. 

When can my child start in kindergarten class, SFO or club?

Children who turn 5 before October 1 can be enrolled in the schools' kindergarten class.

Does your child go to 0.-2. class, you can have your child looked after at the school's after-school care. After school is offered both before and after school. The transition from kindergarten to SFO takes place on 1 May, when the child must start in 0th grade in August. At individual schools, there are other dates for transition from kindergarten. Contact the individual school for further information on this.

Children in 3rd - 6th grade can be admitted to the club. The club is open on all school days. However, holiday care is offered for club children in 3rd and 4th grade. Almost every school has a club.

The transition from preschool to club takes place on 1 August, when the child must start 3rd grade in August - with the club starting on the first day of school after the summer holidays. If care is needed from 1 August until the start of school, holiday care must be purchased.

What school, SFO or club can my child go to?

Your child belongs to a particular school - the district school - depending on where the child lives. Your child is always entitled to a place at the district school, but there is in principle free choice of school. This means that you as parents also have the opportunity to have your child admitted to a school other than the district school, if there is room at the desired school.

If a child living in the municipality already has a sibling at the desired school, the child is entitled to admission to the same school.

SFO and club are offered at the school where the child is enrolled. 

Can my child be homeschooled?

If you want to teach your children of compulsory school age yourself, you must let us know
in writing to the municipality before classes begin.

You can report home education via the form Review of home education.

Send your completed form electronically to the administration for Children's Education and Health

Read more about legislation for school education here

Contact us

Children, Education and Health
Jyllandsgade 36
6400 Sønderborg