Read more about housing, jobs, school and health services for Ukrainian refugees.

For Ukrainian refugees

Can I get help to find permanent housing once I have been granted a residence permit?

If you have been searched to live in Sønderborg Municipality, you can search for accommodation in several different ways.

Read more about housing options in the Sønderborg area at

Many rental properties are offered by private landlords. You can advantageously find private residences various housing portals, social media or in the local newspaper.

If you urgently need a home, you can either search and read the criteria for being allocated emergency accommodation or contact us at Citizen service, who can help you with the application. When applying for emergency housing, you must be aware that your own individual wishes for housing or location are not decisive for the overall assessment.

When you move into a rental property, you must pay a deposit upon moving in. The size of the deposit price can vary, and if you cannot pay, you can apply for one resident deposit loan.

Can I apply for housing benefit?

In Denmark, you can apply for housing benefit. Housing benefit is a tax-free amount that you can receive as a subsidy for your rent. Housing support is basically an option for everyone who rents a home. Whether you can receive housing benefit and how much you can receive depends on: 

  • Household income and wealth 
  • How many children and adults live in the home 
  • The size of the rent
  • How big the home is

You can apply for housing benefit at

What do I have to do when I have been granted a residence permit under the special act?

When you get a residence permit and will live in Sønderborg Municipality, you must contact the job centre.

You can apply in person at Holger Drachmanns pl. 5, 6400 Sønderborg, or by phone: +45 88 72 40 27.

When you have been granted a residence permit under the special act, the municipality offers you temporary accommodation. You will get a contact person in the job center who will help you with all the practical matters. Families with children will also receive help from a family advisor.

Once you have settled in, you start a course with danishlessons og job search.  

Can I receive treatment in the Danish healthcare system?

When you have a residence permit and residence in Denmark, you are entitled to free treatment in parts of the healthcare system. You can find information about the Danish healthcare system in Danish, English, Ukrainian and Russian at The Danish Health Authority's website.

If you have questions about the municipality's health services, you can contact the health center.
What health and dental care services are there for children?

Sønderborg municipal health care offers:

  • Guidance for parents on children's health and well-being
  • Home visits to families with children aged 0-12 months
  • Guidance in the municipality's day care and schools

Anyone with children and young people aged 0-18 can contact the health nurse.

Sønderborg municipal dental care offers:
  • Free dental care for children and young people up to the age of 18 and dental care for people with reduced physical or mental function
  • Orthodontic treatment with braces, if the misalignment of the teeth falls below that which must be treated based on the National Board of Health's guidelines
Children and young people are automatically called to the Dental Care. If the child cannot come at the time they have been allocated, it is important to cancel by contacting Tandplejen.
Can I get lessons in Danish?

You have the right to Danish education, when you have obtained a residence permit under the new special law. Jobcenter Sonderborg helps with registration and start-up.

The municipality does not offer Danish education to Ukrainian refugees who have not received a response to their application for a residence permit.

Can I get help finding a job?

When you get a residence permit under the special act, you also get permission to work in Denmark. If you are searched for living in Sønderborg Municipality, that helps the job centre you to clarify your skills and apply for a job.

If you have not yet received a residence permit, you can visit the Job Club. 

In the Jobklubben, you can get help with your CV and application, as well as get in touch with local companies that have vacancies that you can apply for.

The job club is an open offer with no need to register, and you can participate as many times as you need. There will be a Ukrainian interpreter.

You will find the offer at Augustenborg Landevej 7 1st floor, 6400 Sønderborg. The job club is held at the following times:

Monday from 13.00 – 15.00

Thursday from 15.00 – 17.00

Friday from 13.00 – 15.00

Call the job center by phone +45 27 90 76 35, if you want to know more.

You can also read more about job hunting in Denmark here.

Can my children attend day care and school?


If you have children between the ages of 6 and 17, they must go to school.

If you have a residence permit, your child is automatically enrolled in the school they will attend. You will be contacted by the school.

If you do not yet have a residence permit, you must contact Lene Dippel Rasmussen by e-mail or tel. +45 28 92 17 75.
You must state the child's name, age, place of residence and contact person's telephone number/email address.

Day care

If you have children who go to day care, you must contact Per Wøssner by e-mail or tel. +45 27 90 57 48.

You must state the child's name, age, place of residence and contact person's telephone number/email address.

The youngest children have the opportunity to attend kindergarten in Egernsund Children's House, Rinkenæs Children's House, Stevning Children's House and Mågevænget in Sønderborg.

Can I get crisis help?

Region Southern Denmark's crisis hotline
Ukrainian citizens, their family and other citizens with ties to Ukraine who live in the Region of Southern Denmark can contact the Region of Southern Denmark's crisis hotline, where emergency help and treatment is provided, if necessary also with Ukrainian interpreting assistance.

Phone: +45 99 44 50 60. Open XNUMX hours a day.

The Danish Refugee Council's psychosocial telephone line
Children, young people and adults can call the Danish Refugee Council's psychosocial telephone line. Here you can talk to a Ukrainian professional about the reactions you experience. Parents can also get guidance on how to support their children in the difficult and challenging situation they are in right now. The conversation takes place in Ukrainian. It is possible to arrange a time for a longer follow-up interview. There is also the possibility of being searched for three therapeutic interviews if necessary. 

Phone: +45 33 73 53 14. Open weekdays at 9-10 and at 17-18.

The psychiatric emergency department in Aabenraa

All citizens in psychiatric crisis can also always come and get help without a referral at the psychiatric emergency department in Aabenraa - Kresten Philipsens Vej 15 Entrance C. The emergency department can be contacted on tel. + 45 99 44 56 59.

Can I have an aid made available?

The municipality provides support to you if a aid can remedy a functional impairment, facilitate daily life or is necessary for you to carry out a profession.

Contact the assistive technology department: Tel. +45 88 72 60 79

To citizens of Sønderborg

Are private individuals allowed to have Ukrainian refugees living?

You are welcome to make your home available to Ukrainian citizens who reside legally in Denmark.

If you would like to make your home available to Ukrainian refugees, you can send an email to Sønderborg Municipality's Ukraine task force with the following information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • E-mail
  • Phone number
  • Description of the house (number of rooms, other facilities)

You will then be contacted if accommodation is needed with private individuals in Sønderborg Municipality.

Please note that the municipal council must obtain a child certificate prior to accommodation with private citizens of children under 15 years of age.

How can I help Ukraine's refugees?

Several of the local relief organizations and associations organize various initiatives to help the Ukrainian refugees. You can support financially and you can volunteer and become part of the work of welcoming the new arrivals.

On you can read the authorities' advice on how you can best help.

Can I fly the Ukrainian flag to show my support?

The Minister of Justice has decided to extend the permission for private and public authorities who wish to fly the Ukrainian flag up to and including 31 December 2022. However, state authorities must fly the Dannebrog on the official and extraordinary flag days during the period.

For companies

Can I hire a Ukrainian refugee?

Ukrainians who have a residence permit under the new special law have a permit to work in Denmark.

If you want to employ Ukrainian refugees, you can contact the job centre's business service on tel. +45 88 72 40 31 or mail Here you can get sparring and guidance and get job openings entered in our job bank.

You can also find more information for employers here.

Ukrainian flag

Contact us

Ukraine task force
Holger Drachmanns plads 5
6400 Sønderborg