Say yes to each other and get a civil marriage in Sonderborg Municipality. We warmly welcome you to a wedding in scenic surroundings.

With 200 km of coastline, lots of forests, castles and historical monuments, many experiences await you when you arrive. If you want to make your wedding a romantic trip or holiday, the area has hotels of all classes, cozy houses with bed and breakfasts and lots of holiday homes that can be rented. Read more about our beautiful area here.

What must we do before we can get married in Sønderborg Municipality?

In Sonderborg, both Danish and foreign couples can be married. Before the wedding, you must apply to get a civil marriage. 

If you live in Denmark

If you live in Denmark and are either Danish citizens or have an indefinite residence permit, you must complete a marriage declaration via the link at the top.

If you are Danish citizens who do not live in Denmark

If you are a Danish citizen who does not live in Denmark, you must contact the Marriage Office (see contact information below).

If you are foreign nationals who do not live in Denmark

Before the wedding, you must apply to get married. You can apply to the Family Court or contact the Marriage Office if you have problems applying online (see contact information below).

All foreign couples must register the day before the wedding by appearing in person at Borgerservice on Thursday between 09.00 and 17.00 on Holger Drachmanns Plads 5, 2., Sønderborg.

Where and when can we get married?

Danish couples

Danish couples can be married at Sonderborg City Hall:

Monday to Wednesday: 8.00 am - 15.00 pm
Thursday: 8.00 am - 17.00 pm
Saturday: at 9.00 am - 12.00 pm

By appointment, you can also get married Nørherredhus in Nordborg or The Old Town Hall in Gråsten Fridays at 8.30 am - 14.00 pm

During holiday periods, all weddings take place at Sonderborg City Hall.

Foreign couples

Foreign couples can be married on Fridays from 8.30 am - 14.00 pm. The wedding takes place either at Nørherredhus in Nordborg or The Old Town Hall in Gråsten

If you want to get married at another time or place in the municipality, you must contact the Marriage Office (see contact information below).

Should there be witnesses to the wedding?

There must always be at least two witnesses to witness a civil marriage. If your wedding takes place at Sønderborg Town Hall on weekdays or in Nordborg or Gråsten on Fridays, we are always happy to provide two witnesses. If, on the other hand, your wedding is to take place elsewhere or at the weekend, you yourself must arrange for two witnesses to witness your wedding.

The bridal bouquet

Contact us

The Marriage Office

Holger Drachmanns Plads 5, 2.

6400 Sønderborg

Phone hours:

Monday: 10.00 am - 15.00 pm

Tuesday and Wednesday: 08.00 - 15.00

Thursday: 08.00 am - 17.00 pm 

Friday: 10.00 am - 14.00 pm